Think of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, NASA, or the Department of Defense: that agency can't do its work unless the folks at the IRS do their work.
I listed those three agencies because they get very high approval ratings (65-70% favorable) while the IRS got more unfavorable (48%) than favorable (45%) responses. That's from the Bloomberg News article, crediting Pew Research Center. For more on that survey of attitudes toward agencies, see Most View the CDC Favorably: VA's Image Slips, Pew Research Center, Jan. 22, 2015. The complete report is here.
Speaking of reports from Pew, see
- High-Income Americans Pay Most Income Taxes, But Enough to Be "Fair"? (March 24, 2015)
- 5 Facts on How Americans View Taxes (April 10, 2015)
- The Biggest U.S. Tax Breaks (April 13, 2015)
- Among Developed Nations, Americans' Tax Bills Are Below Average (March 30, 2015)
- Federal Tax System Seen in Need of Overhaul (March 19, 2015)